Soooo this year is our school's 60th anniversary and it's a pretty big deal. Well, we don't usually talk about it in class – but it's definitely important. And in art class, we've been challenged with a few this question: What makes SAS different from other schools? And of course, since it's, well, art class, we have to draw out the answer to that. I partnered up with Nicole, a friend of mine, and we set about brainstorming and drawing our picture. It was really fun, actually. We decided that what makes our school special is the unique combination of people and personalities that combine in these classes, so we chose to make a classroom with lots of characters in it.
Up in the front of the class you can see Mr. Gilbert Globe, the teacher. Right near him is the diligent Singapore-person and a person in an SAS sweatshirt. Not far away is annoyed Captain America (Mr. Globe took away his shield! He's mad about that) and then there's a tiger sitting next to Peridot (I imagine that she's pretty worried and confused) and there's an eagle and a snowman (on a towel, in case he melts, and he's colorblind just for the record) and America-person sitting on a cushion because they think they're ruler of the world (they're non-binary, so don't have a gender). And the Statue of Liberty is talking to her friend, the Merlion. The two girls sitting next to each other are Nicole's characters, Nyx and Jubilee.
Mr. Globe is teaching a lesson on the number sixty. Then there's the Statue of Liberty's tablet and torch, which were confiscated; Peridot's limb enhancers (probably forcefully removed, to be honest) and a big robonoid (which she probably rode to school; why she's in school I don't know. After all, she's a "Certified Kindergartener"!) and Nyx's stick-weapon. Plus Singaporean and American flags and the SAS logo, because that's SAS.
In order to draw this, Nicole and I first brainstormed and sketched it in pencil, then transferred it onto a final draft and then lined it in pen before coloring with color pencil. We incorporated images and colors and characters from America (Captain America, the Statue of Liberty, Peridot (American cartoon (?), and a bald eagle – oh and the snowman, and America-person) and from Singapore (Merlion, tiger, and Singapore-person) as well as from SAS (which is the SAS-sweatshirt person and, in a sense, Nyx and Jubilee). It was pretty fun to make.
Drawing collaboratively is something pretty new for me and it was rather fun. I think I came up with ideas that I couldn't have come up with on my own, and the final product looks a little better than it might have if I worked alone. It was tricky at times because Nicole was absent for a few days and so I had to work alone, but it wasn't too bad. And besides, when working with a partner I think I worked harder and didn't slack off as much (although there always was that urge to doodle).

Interesting...I wonder what others did, what their ideas were about SAS.
ReplyDeleteYes, the heterogeneity of the students is very noticeable.