-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Widow Maker
“Go on, it’s not that hard.”
“But I don’t know how to do moguls!”
“Okay, so what you do is you go down straight, keep your skis parallel, and turn - use the moguls to stop yourself.”
“Easier said than done.” I grumbled, then turned slowly to peer over the edge.
I blinked. “Wait a minute... You’re telling me THIS is what I have to go down?!” I shrieked. The hill was probably at a forty-five degree angle, covered in lumps the size of sofa cushions. My brother, my cousins, and my uncle were going down slowly. My uncle was trying to help me traverse the mountainside, and yet not succeeding entirely.
“Yes,” he said, “but you can always change your mind and go down Payday instead.”
“No. I came here to ski, and I will do this if I fall a million times! Besides, I said I would.” and if I didn’t my brothers would laugh, I added in my head.
“Suit yourself.” he headed down.
I stood there on the mountain, surrounded by snow. The Widow Maker, a black diamond ski trail, dropped down in front of me. It wasn’t very long, but my stomach dropped at the sight of it. Why oh why did I let Uri talk me into this? Lucky Daddy got to ski down and take pictures. I sighed and slid forward. WOWzers, I almost fell over the edge! I turns side-a-ways and slipped down an inch. Phew, that wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Another inch. My stomach flopped, my ankles hurt from being twisted to keep my body vertical. I slipped down a bit more. Then, suddenly, my feet slipped. I started shooting downwards! WOAH, woah, woah! I managed to turn sharply and stop. Then I slipped down. I was going almost horizontally across. Bump, bump, bump! I was almost going into the air. At last I stopped, my skis bending over a valley. Phew! I turned a parallel turn and then with a bump, bump, bump I once again went down a little. My nerves began to calm down. I can do this, I told myself, look at me go! Slowly slowly I was going down to the bottom. I heard a click.
“Daddy! Don’t take pictures of me noww!” I complained. Who would want their picture taken as they slipped down a mountain? Not me! I slipped on, bump, bump, bump.
Finally, finally, finally I reached the bottom. Well, I thought, I suppose I did it. That was tricky, but I managed. Still, I don’t think I’ll do it again... I guess I should catch up with the others. Goodbye, widowmaker. I hope you make no widows.
-Michal
I like your honesty about being fearful yet persistent. Glad you made it down safely, whether you did it the "right" way or your way....I'm proud of you!
ReplyDelete