I think that this girl, Cynthia Sin Nga Lam, will win for a few reasons. First of all, her invention (the H2prO (Portable Photocatalytic Electricity Generation and Water Purification Unit)) is one that is sorely needed in this world. Here on earth we do have many places where people don't have water and electricity. If there really was a portable water and electricity maker, then it would help billions of people in this world. Besides, her method of filtering the water seemed easy to produce (sand, charcoal, resin...) and finally, this H2prO could be applied in many different ways - even, as she said, a household run by H2prO where all the water in the house comes from dirty water that is purified. That's why I think she might win.
Here's her article:
H2PRO - PORTABLE PHOTOCATALYTIC ELECTRICITY GENERATION AND WATER PURIFICATION UNIT
Here's her article:
H2PRO - PORTABLE PHOTOCATALYTIC ELECTRICITY GENERATION AND WATER PURIFICATION UNIT
Not only is there a lack of clean water and electricity in underdeveloped countries, but also the whole world is facing energy crisis and water pollution. This research aims to develop an eco-friendly and economical approach to achieve sustainable water-purification and energy-production. After constant experimenting, I designed and constructed a portable device, H2prO, that purifies wastewater and produces hydrogen to generate electricity sustainably through photocatalysis. In the reaction, the pollutants can act as reductants to enhance hydrogen production, hence electrical efficiency. I hope this design can benefit the poor, the ones who need disaster relief and even household users.
I just read a relevant fact (assuming it is true...): that 97% of the world's water is not drinkable. So we sure need the suggested technology.
ReplyDelete