Sunday, April 26, 2015

Project Adventure Game Invention...post

  1. Name and Explain your game and the rules.
Our game was called Divergent Dodgeball and it was an evasion game created by my team for the project we did in PE. How you play is as follows:
Before the game, everybody puts their heads down and the referee/teacher selects 5 random kids (doesn’t have to be from every faction, can’t be all from one faction) to be the “Divergents.” They whisper a word to them which will later be the call. Dodgeballs are placed in the middle of the area and when the game starts all “factions” go towards dodgeballs and start hitting other factions. When you get hit, you stand on one of the boundary lines of the area that is specific to your team and then wait to be brought back in. The only way you can be brought back in is if your team hits another person with the “magic ball” (looks different from all the other balls; isn’t really magic) - then the person who was out the longest, from their team, gets to go back in. People can also get back in if somebody from their team catches an airborne ball thrown at them.
Players can run only inside their team's quarter of the court, if they step across the boundaries they're out.
Sometime during the game, the referee will call out the word for the Divergents. Then the Divergents will become one teams and gang up against their previous factions. This is the only time when someone who was out and is standing in the line can be brought back in - if they’re Divergents. When Divergents get hit after the call (word), they are out permanently and sit down where they’re hit unless someone from their team catches a ball.  The winner of the game is the faction who has the most members still standing after the referee has ended the game.
...yay.


2. What was a challenge/difficulty of working together to make a game? How?
It wasn't too hard I guess? I didn't do much because I didn't have anything to say. My teammates were pretty good at planning. I just drew the visuals so I could imagine what was gonna happen in the game. I guess what I'm saying indirectly, is that the disadvantage of this team was that not everyone did equal amounts of work. And I didn't get why we didn't get to play it on the actual day, just hang around doing nothing...

3. What was a benefit of working together? Elaborate
I have no idea, because I've never tried doing this sort of thing on my own. Sorry I don't have anything to elaborate on. I know if I had done this on my own I would have actually done something more significant than just drawing pictures... I guess it's a lot better when in a team because then everyone's ideas are mixed; I know I wouldn't have thought of Divergent dodgeball because I've never read/watched Divergent so there you have it. More ideas.

4. Discuss at least 2 ways your group problem solved to make your game work better?
...I suppose you could count refining it, for example cutting down 5 teams into 4 at the start of the game, and also later while we played we added boundaries for each team - before it was just a run-anywhere sort of game.


No comments:

Post a Comment