So, we're in our Tech Ed class, working on learning to design and think creatively – and this year, we've begun the year by learning about 3D printing.
Can I read your mind? Are you thinking something along the lines of, "wow... how do they do THAT?" Well there's a program called Sketchup that you can design 3D objects in, export, fix 'em, and then print them. Personally, I found it pretty fun. I had a steep learning curve with sketchup; it wasn't easy to use, and though I have used it before, I'm not the best at it. I succeeded in the end, and it turned out pretty well; but I tried about five times before that. I had a goal in mind: a heart-shaped box was what I wanted to make. The first and second and third times, my item was either hollow or badly made or made out of too many jerky edges. I asked Mr. Diebley for help and he showed me a youtube video that helped, so I tried again – only to find that my item had no base – and then finally I succeeded in making this sort of shape.
Not bad, eh? then I went on to print it. Okay, so technically it was Mr. Selley who did the printing. Even there, it messed up once; but he printed it again – and now I have a lid!
3D printing was fun. I think it's really interesting to get this experience and I'm glad I got to do it. Plus, we got a perfect amount of time to do this: not too much, not too little. And who doesn't like a nice heart-shaped box?
So to end this post, I'd like to thank Mr. Diebley, Mr. Selley, and everyone else who helped me with 3D printing. Y'all are awesome!


No comments:
Post a Comment