Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Color Pencil Holiday Project

Yup, back at it again with some more art posts! This is pretty much the only class that makes me post on here, honestly. 50% done, peer feedback, let's go.
  • really like the color scheme and the contrast
  • good unity and good choosing complimenting colors
  • favorite part is the candle and the footprints because of the contrast and gradation
  • emphasis on the candle maybe
  • really like the sky too
  • Really cool with the colors 
  • the moon is cool
  • good shadows
  • values in the water are good
  • moon in the water reflection
  • make the bottom of the chanukkiah round so it looks more 3-D

(sorry, no photo and I don't think I was supposed to do a self-reflection but Mr. Laurence is asking me to publish this now so I dunno what I'm doing but I'll do that anyway. My self-reflection is basically what the peer feedback said anyway sooo yeah)

UPDATE at the end of the project


Peer feedback:
  • reflections of the moon on the water
  • candle A+, focus of the picture
  • colors in general are good
  • really like the ocean
  • As for what to improve? They got nothin'.
Self-Reflection:
I'm gonna be harsh on myself here, because my peer reviewers weren't. But I won't be mean. Now, let's see – I didn't use enough warm colors to contrast the cool blue; I feel like I should have made the sand warmer and the flame from the fire as well – the whole sand area is woefully underdeveloped as a whole. The base of the chanukkia is still a little flat, I think, especially on the left side. And the sky is not dark enough; I should have made it almost black instead of that blue-black shade. Also, the little stick-things between the channukia's arms are a little weird. I probably should have left those out. And the footprints are weird.
Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. I really like how the shine in the ocean came out (even if it isn't directly under the moon... oops) and I like the candle too. Also, I'm proud of the clouds and the colors in them, and I'm glad I decided to add both cool and warm colors to the moon. I feel like the black is a little streaky at points, and I didn't layer enough in other parts, but as a whole the piece looks pretty good and I'm glad I chose to do it. Also the composition with the piece being divided into approximately thirds (sand, ocean, sky) and the channukia being off in one side of the picture instead of being in the middle. Oh, and the contrast is well done, I think.  So it doesn't look completely realistic – it looks like something out of a fantasy. And I like that.

references:
http://img12.deviantart.net/691d/i/2013/230/c/1/beach_at_night_by_myraalex-d6iot9k.jpg
http://lifequotes.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/footprints-and-pebbles-in-sand.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/11/12/fa/1112fa020b8a31c3beccf009edaa626f.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Hanuka-Menorah-by-Gil-Dekel-2014.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/2261/3612/1600/668884/chanukiah%201.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment