You know how my unit in social studies is push and pull factors? Well, I recently did a project that is all about this, rather like a review of the whole unit. It is basically a map of the world showing the push factors and pull factors from Singapore and the American Colonies. First, here is a map of the overall thing:
This is the overall map of Singapore area immigration (the end of the black line is in England as seen in the above map)
So I wrote the push and the pull factors on each of the countries from which Singapore got a lot of residents. First up is China. Look and you shall see what I learnt in this unit. In China, reasons for emigration:
Showing Singapore, here are some reasons why they immigrated:
And here is their overall travel.
Malaysians came for more or less the same reasons, so I simply ask you to keep in mind the ones stated and realize they are the same for almost all of the newcomers to Singapore.
Push Factors are stated below:
Pull factors:
The Malaysians had a very short journey to take to get to Singapore, unlike the English, so they ccould help more easily because they could bring material for trading.
India's people had a longer journey but they came in big numbers.
Did you know this?: Most of the Malaysians, Chinese, and Indians lived in small, cramped 'houses' on cots, all squished with lots of people in their with them. Most of them were in deep poverty too and were forced to work in low paying jobs, but, well, everyone makes a difference, no matter how small.
The English are another story though. They traveled the greatest distance, first of all, but they also got the majority of the government jobs, because the government itself was British. They got the highest paying jobs, too, and they planned the towns' arrangements. They used the others as workers.
A free immigration policy is when you can come and go as you please, and not have to go through too much security. It does not exist in Singapore today, but it used to be here.
Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles founded Singapore's port in 1819. He signed a treaty with the brother of the Sultan and acknowledged him as the rightful Sultan of Johor. Then he made an agreement with the local people and founded a village - port on the coast. Singapore's history is long, so if you want to know more about Raffles or other Singapore history, just check online or in the library.
Okay, that is the Singapore colony, but there are also the American colonies, such as Roanoke, New York, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Massachusetts, Plymouth, and Rhode Island, among others. I only used four of these in my project, which are Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Roanoke, and Georgia. Here's an overall map to help you understand:
Pennsylvania was named after the leader of the people who settled there. I say his name in 'Travel England to Pennsylvania', the last one on Pennsylvania (below).
In Georgia, there were debtors. Debtors are people who owe money and cannot pay back. They usually go to prison, but these debtors went to Georgia instead.
Roanoke is another province that the British formed.
Massachusetts had Plymouth in it, and when I refer to Massachusetts I generally refer to Plymouth.
So now you know what I have been learning in the past few months. I hope you learned a lot too, and I now know what my next project will be... But I shan't tell!
Glossary:
emigrant: an emigrant is a person who has left their home country to live permanently somewhere else.
immigrant: an immigrant is someone who has moved into a country to stay, and that country is not their home country.
Pull Factor: A pull factor is a reason someone came to a country.Push Factor: A push factor is a reason someone left a country.



























Michal, Your presentation shows what you learned in social studies - focusing on Singapore and the United States. You learned alot about the history of both places, developed by the immigrants who came. The same processes are occuring now too, as people move alot from country to country, seeking a better life.
ReplyDeleteSome day you will learn about all the immigration to Israel. For some people, the push factor was very strong while for other people, the pull was a strong factor. We can talk about this when you come for your next visit during the summer vacation.